Wednesday, June 25, 2008

TrAVeL TidbiT

We're on the move again! After a week break of fun, family festivities, we hit the road again about 6:30am Monday morning. Our first big stop was in Johnson City, TN. We met some friends at a park. I wish we could have visited with each of them longer, but we had to get going. We drove to St. Robert, MO that evening. We got there at 1:00am. I drove the last long stretch of the journey. It was kind of unnerving at times. Because of the way the darkness was laid on the road, I would come to the top of the hill but couldn't see the down-slopping side of the hill until I was going down. I can't explain it properly, but if you've ever driven up a steep hill, you know what I mean. We were also very blessed as I saw two deer on the side of the road, and that was it!

We are re-listening to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. We also have Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to listen to next. It's been fun to listen to the Half-Blood Prince again, but it's my 3rd time and I am really looking forward to hearing the Deathly Hallows because I know already that I've forgotten stuff. Jim Dale does a superb job reading them!

Tuesday late morning we headed to Ft. Leonard Wood to look at base housing. I really liked the base. We have never been to a base that big. The commissary is SWEET! They had Ben & Jerry's there for $1.99 and it wasn't even on sale! We'll just have to steer away from those goodies that we love, but never buy, and keep not buying them. Doritos are only $2 and I love Doritos, but I was good and didn't buy any yesterday.

I've heard good things about the elementary school located by the officer housing. The classes are small, and that sounds good to me! Lee also got a peek at the eye clinic and really liked it. The hours are 7:30 to 4:30 there, so he should be home before 5! The hospital--where the eye clinic is at, is about 2 miles from the officer housing. There are also 2 parks right next to the housing. They look really fun--and they are basically in our "backyard". The church is about 4 miles from officer housing. There is a good-sized ward in St. Robert--the town that is just outside the army base.

After we looked around at the housing on base and off, we met the Bishop, his wife and some of their family. They are really nice. Sounds like there is a good chunk of military in the ward (of course I am not surprised.) There are at least two families that live on base, and sounds like there are even more!

I was disappointed with the old housing--and there is a lot of it. But it "sounds" like there may be renovations in the future. Despite my disappointment with the housing, I really like everything else so much that I am still leaning towards on-base housing.

Here is the carport on one of the single family home that looked more tolerable. It looks better in the picture though.


And a front view


There are two streets that have new homes on them, but the chances don't seem to be in our favor in living in one of them. They also have ranch homes that are similar in looks to this one. I would love to live in one of these!


Front on view


The house is for rent and it is literally right by the church. The outside looks fine, but I wasn't impressed with the inside. I need to remind myself that we won't be living in this area forever, so I shouldn't be too picky about housing. I definitely don't want to be a "student" any more, but we'll have to live like one for a couple more years.


Now we are in Cedar Falls enjoying the lovely summer weather. It's only 87.4 degrees right now! Earlier, I went on a little shopping trip with Cal, Deb and Thomas. Tonight I am going to Young Womens with Deb. They are having a class on decorating your bedroom. It's sound fun! Hopefully I can keep updating you all as our journey progresses.

No comments: