Sunday, February 21, 2010

We enjoyed another 4-day week because Lee had President's Day off. It is sad for me when Lee has to go back to work. I do want to write that I am very disappointed that schools and businesses had work/school off for Martin Luther King, Jr. day and not President's Day. Sure MLK, jr. did some good things, but what about all of our wonderful presidents? Especially the ones that founded this great nation?

The kids had fun with a track that Lee built sometime during the week...photos courtesy of Cal
<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

Shanna and Haley this morning before church. I very often think of how blessed I am to have these two girls. They are so fun!
Feb 21 2010 Shanna  Haley

Feb 21 2010 Shanna Haley

Mr. Elden today
Feb 21 2010 Elden

Feb 21 2010 Cal Clark Elden

Feb 21 2010 Elden (2)

I can't believe it's been over a year since I headed up to Columbia to be on bedrest. Last year at this time I was still on bedrest. Elden will be one in 2 1/2 weeks! My friend Kristi told me about her friend that went up to Columbia last week because her water broke. I am glad that her friend is farther along than I ever was (32 weeks). Lee and I have a little joke about me "baking" my kids to perfection in utero. We were talking about Elden baking to perfection a few weeks ago, but I basically said how he actually wasn't. He came a little too early (12 weeks early!). Then Lee said, "Well, he was microwaved to perfection after that." It was so funny. Especially thinking about Elden being in the isolette for so long...I guess it is somewhat of a microwave!

Elden started physical therapy a little over a week ago. In a week he will be 9 months old, gestation wise. He is doing things more like an 8 month old. We are working with him to gain more strength, thus enabling him to do 9 month old things. I really like his therapist. Hopefully the sessions will move to once every other week instead of once a week. Last week Elden's first tooth broke through and I have felt it too much already while nursing him. He is also officially crawling! He sure can get around. We have to make sure little bits of thinsg like paper and wrappers aren't on the ground, as Elden has already gagged several times!

Shanna and Haley have been doing pretty well with potty-training. It's been three weeks and they are basically all trained. They are still having occasional accidents, and they are fewer and farther apart, but at this point, my boys weren't have any really accidents. Overall, Lee and I are very pleased with the current outcome. They haven't had any accidents in public, which is great! The girls have been talking a lot more too which is great.

They have been saying some cute things. One thing I say to my girls a lot, in a singing tone, "Pretty Haley" and "Pretty Shanna". What is fun is when Haley and Shanna will say to me: "Pretty mommy." And then when they talk about the boys, they say in a deep voice "Cool Daddy" or any of the other boys' names (or "baby" for Elden.) Last night I was painting Shanna's fingernails and she said "I want to go shopping." It was so funny. I guess having pretty nails gets you in the mood to spend money! One more thing about Shanna. She has a stuffed toy lamb that she likes. She calls it her baa ha ha.

Cal is doing well. He is having a lot of fun with his little buddy Sebastian. He goes with Sebastian and his mom to story time every week, which I love! (Thanks Audrey!) We are working with him on his numbers. Since he isn't in preschool, I am trying to make sure he is somewhat prepared for school. He can write his name, and knows other things like shapes and colors of course. He had a chance to go to preschool actually. There is a free one here on base that called about a month ago with an opening. I decided not to have him go. It would have been more of a hassle than anything. Clark was able to get ready for school at home, so I am hoping the same for Cal. Already Cal is looking forward to school and to the fun things he will get in his school lunch like Clark gets.

Clark had his first trip to the dentist last week. He was wary of going, but didn't put up a fight. Overall, he loved it! And I loved that he didn't have any cavities. Afterwards he got a helium balloon and a bag with a toothbrush and toothpaste, dental floss, a sand timer to use when he brushes his teeth and a little mirror tool--like the one the dentist uses to look at your teeth. He is doing great in school, which with we are very pleased. First grade has been easier than Kindergarten. Helping him learn to read took a lot of effort on our part and his. But now that he knows how to sound out words, AND knows how to read, homework is pretty easy lately.

Our only struggle is when he has writing assignments. His teacher lets him use "creative" spelling (I'll call it) for words he doesn't know how to spell, but I insist that he writes the correct spelling and I tell him how to spell the words. Maybe that's bad, but oh well. One funny story to share about Clark and Cal. Last night Clark was saying that he didn't want me to die. I told him that I wouldn't die for a really, really long time (I hope!) and that he would be an old man too when I died. A little bit later I told him that's why mom and dad go to the temple-so that after we die we can be a family for eternity. It would be sad if we died and then weren't a family anymore. This morning Lee heard Cal telling Clark that he didn't want to go to church. Clark, knowing that going to church is part of having an eternal family, then said, "Don't you want to be a family forever?" Cal didn't answer, but Clark pressed him, "Well Cal, yes or no?" Lee didn't hear the rest of the conversation, but I was very pleased with what Lee related to me.

Lee has been having fun looking at vehicles, bikes, and bike parts online. Now that we found a vehicle, that search is over. He is currently looking at bikes for me and is getting some parts to add longevity to his bike. His work schedule has been somewhat crazy--for me anyway. Usually he is at the 43rd, which I LOVE. Lately though his has been at the hospital more. Oh well. I am very spoiled with his great work schedule!

I have been doing pretty much the same things lately: visiting teaching items, things around the house, etc. I too went to the dentist with Clark. I haven't been for 9 years! Last time I went was on my mission. Unlike cavity-less Clark, I have four cavities. I guess they are small ones, so that is good. I am glad I don't need any root canals! Friday night we played a game with our friend Kim. She and her husband came over and the kids had a ball playing with him. Yesterday Lee and I made babyshower invitations for her. I am going to do a babyshower for her in March. I am excited about it.

Also yesterday I spent at least an hour and a half cleaning the van. Before we bought it or saw it Lee asked the guy if it was clean. He said it was "as clean as a whistle". Well, according to me it was not. I did a once over on it. After I vacuumed it, I scrubbed the two big floor mats, some of the carpet and wiped down a bunch of other stuff. Now I would say it's as clean as a whistle, and our van smells like cleaner. I am thinking of changing our eating habits in vehicles. We'll see how well it goes, but I would like to change a few things. We are usually pretty good--like no Cheeto type stuff, or red/purple juice for the kids, for example. But now that it is all clean, I don't want anyone to eat in it! Though, that is not very realistic with how many trips we take. At least I can always buy more cleaner and scrub it yet again. (And I am sure I will have to!)

Last night as Lee and I were making the invitations we watched Dave Ramsey's DVD, Dumping Debt. Even though we don't have any debt right now it was fun to watch and listen too. And even though we are out of debt we are still working on our budget and trying to reach specific saving goals. We have to keep up with the budget just as much as before. But it's much more fun to actually buy stuff instead of paying off stuff!

We are enjoying life and I am so thankful for my wonderful family! Enjoy the week!

6 comments:

Gianetta said...

Always great to hear about your life! Congrats on the potty training-that is one big milestone, esp with twins! Cute kiddos!

MissouriMormonMama said...

Sounds like things are going well, Ruth ( : That reminds me, I should clean our van- it is soooo bad.

Have a lovely week!

Photo Crazy! said...

Fun to hear the up-dates. Your kids are beautiful! My hubby will be proud of you for going to the dentist. LOL

Lois said...

Cal is definitely a budding photographer! :) And I love the girls' dresses - SO cute!

Liz said...

I love the pictures of your kids. You are keeping yourselves very busy! I need to check into Dave Ramsey. Mike graduates with his MBA in May and the big payoff will begin. :-)

santino, polly and little dude Eli said...

I always love to see what kids take pictures of, their point of views are always very refreshing.

Love to hear about everyone in the family and doing great. Ruth, I can't believe you didn't go to the dentist for that long! I went just a couple of months ago and the dentist looked at me like I was crazy that my last trip to a dentist was 3 years prior to that, but it felt really good to have clean teeth and very nice breathe with no cavity being reported.

Also love the conversation you mentioned about the eternal family between you and the kiddos. It makes me smile when I was reading it.

OK, I want to write so much more but I am going to post an essay here if I do. Just want you to know thanks for keeping in touch and thanks for the great example you always have for me.

p.s. I shared your credit card baking chip cookies story with my Visiting Teachees when we were talking about getting out of debts this month. :)