Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Welcome Holidays!

Nice cup, right?  In Nicaragua I bought one for my brother Sam's birthday.  It accidentally dropped at the hotel which was frustrating.  I bought one at the airport.  Lee negotiated a price for me, but the lady thought it was for cash and not using a debit card that would incur extra fees.  I decided not to buy it.  I walked away and then the lady came up to me and said I could buy it. So, round two! The cup made it home successfully! And to my brother successfully.



We started the month of December with some traditions, like ringing the bell for the Salvation Army.  The regular signups that my friend at church coordinates didn't work for us.  I contacted the Salvation Army directly and found a bell ringing inside--yay!


I sent off some little Christmas packages to my nieces and nephews at college and on a mission.

My sister Lena and her husband Mike did a little get-away before their 10th child was born.  Yep, 10th!  Super awesome!  I took the younger kids up to my house.  I met them in Myrtle Beach for the switch.  We drove back to Elkton, grabbed some pizza and headed to A Christmas Carol. I didn't know how the kids would do since we had been driving all day.  But it went quite well considering.

A shot of us in the "beast". I took their 12 passenger van and they took my Honda Fit.



This little guy, Karl, was amazing!  He was enthralled with the whole thing!

Our good friend Banita, along with her daughters, joined us!







Between the travel time, I actually only had Lena's kids for one day. I took Lillie, Karl and Steven with me to the school while I made copies.  They had fun with the cut-outs I made from scrap paper and the die cuts. 



At the elementary school!


Karl found the mini crutches.

We went to the park....for a very short time. I promised to take them, but had a lot going on that day.

That night was the ward Christmas party, of which I was in charge.  The Bishop had some great ideas that he directed me with, so mainly I was just carrying out the plans.  It was still stressful though and I am glad it's over!  The main stress point was decorating all the tables!

Three ladies in our ward really helped me from the ideas to bringing decor.  They turned out cute!



Santa visits every year and my friend put together these cute little gifts for all the kids and youth.  I loved the message she attached about serving and helping others as Christ did.




Cal, Lee and Clark did some fun entertainment playing some Christmas songs.

Ryan Liskey joined in on the fun.

On Saturday I drove with the kids to Columbia, South Carolina and met Lena and Mike at the temple parking lot.  We swapped vehicles and I headed home. 



While I was driving home Lee took the kids skiing for the first time this season.  Elden waited a long time before they actually left.



Not much snow, and looks quite icy!





After church Sunday we headed up to be with Blake for his birthday. We took off early and went back to Harrisonburg to be with some friends for a get-together at their house that night.


Another tradition we do every year is singing at the nursing home.  We really should go more often.  Hopefully we'll go in February on a random Sunday maybe? We hung out with Banita and her girls again---another part of the caroling tradition!



They enjoyed a fun game after with some treats.

I had a couple of spurts of decluttering over the holidays too.  Not something I was planning on for those particular days.  But it was great!

Right before we left for Nicaragua I finally cleaned up the playroom.  Lee took everything out of the attic spaces and I went through all of it.  I put it off for weeks, but finally took care of it.  I found in my things a shawl that belonged to my great-grandma Lillie Liston Baker.  It has some moth holes in it, but I got it cleaned and put it out for Christmas.  I though it looked fun in the family room where I have red and green decorations.

Haley won 3rd place in a "peace" poster contest hosted by the Lion's Club. She, Lee and I were invited to a dinner where she was recognized and received $50!



And the decluttering bug struck again in my bedroom... So nice to get rid of and donate things!

I am writing this after the holidays have past and this was the most stressful holiday ever.  It was fun at times.  But even with not getting my kids presents (which seems like that alone would ease some stress) other things crowded in to my life that made it the worst December ever.  I am of the opinion that if you don't like the holidays then change it!  Do what you want to do.  Make them what you want them to be.  Don't like all the presents? Then don't buy them.  Don't like all the parties and gift exchanges, then don't participate.  This year though I had a lot planned in December from hosting Christmas out of state to my 40th birthday, to Cal's Eagle Court of Honor, to a big New Year's Eve get-together, along with an ugly sweater party, being in-charge-ish of the ward Christmas party, still doing Relief Society President responsibilities, watching my sister's kids (which was actually a blessing!), making gingerbread houses, going caroling, and on and on.  It was a busy month like it is every year!  What made it the worst December or actually just the worst month of my life, was a text from one of my sister's that was very hurtful to me, and something else that happened that I won't discuss.  And both happened the same day.  And the very first part of the month.  Not a great way to ring in the holidays.  So it was a blessing that I could watch my sister's kids as it was a distraction of sorts.  The same sister made a remark over Christmas that was annoying as well.  Yes, I am prideful and just need to "get over it". Why is it so hard to let go of things sometimes?  It just hurts me and not the other person.  Hopefully I am past it.  Of course even vaguely writing about it on the blog makes me rethink about it which isn't helpful.  So why I am rehashing it all (even though you as the reader is being kept clueless as to what I am referring)?  I think two-fold.  First, I want to have a better, more peaceful Christmas next year. I want to soak in the season and love it.  But also as we all know (but maybe I don't like to always admit) things happen out of our control that we do not want nor ask for. A couple things happened that I  couldn't really control and that were big blows to me.  That didn't make for a great start to the holidays.  I guess the two-fold parts are one in the same, because second, I want to think about Christmas 2020 and create plans to make it better. I have started to do A LOT in November to alleviate some December busyness. But I know I can do more. I want to plan that out better and do it!  Like baking pies and gingerbread for gingerbread houses all in October.  I generally purchase all gifts in November, plus do my Christmas cards that month as well, which is always so helpful! Next year will naturally be more calm because we won't be hosting Christmas out of state.  And 41 isn't that big of a birthday to-do.  Not that I did a whole lot myself for my birthday as Lee pampered me.  But because it was the big 4-0 I wanted to stay home and subsequently invited family, which means extra cleaning, more shopping and lots of cooking. Don't get me wrong, I love having family here and host them quite often! I think Lee and I both enjoyed his birthday immensely.  It was just our little family hanging out: taking a bike ride, going out for lunch, then being together in the evening with our own birthday celebration for him.  That would be great to do in 2020 for me. Also, another reason for writing this is to document that even though on my blog I write about fluffy "this is what we've been up to" stuff, life is hard at times. Sometimes more hard than we want it to be! I enjoyed many things about December, but it was also a crummy month as well. I have my unique challenges like everyone else--and not that anyone has ever told me that they think my life is perfect, because they haven't. I just don't know what people think about my life.  But I don't talk a lot, or ever, about problems in my life or my true feelings about things.  Okay, unless it's about debt/money I do get into that here and there. And I did tons when I first started blogging, haha.  I don't mean to not share. I just am in the habit of not sharing.  So I keep on not sharing my true feelings about many things.   In the end I want to keep my own advice of truly making the holidays how I want them.  I need to plan stuff out and make it happen!  Funny enough, I'm hosting Thanksgiving.  HA!  One great way to make the holidays calm right?! I do know though from times past that making mashed potatoes ahead of time, freezing them, then reheating said potatoes is NOT a good idea.  At least I have that knowledge going for me!

No comments: