Wednesday, March 20, 2013

St. Patrick's Day

As you all know St. Patrick's Day was Sunday. I enjoyed seeing so many people wearing green.  My friend Abby and her family all wore green--it was so cute!

Sunday night my kids went on a treasure hunt that a leprechaun set up for them. I really have never done anything for St. Patrick's Day.  Maybe we'll keep this hunt as a tradition as my kids really enjoyed it. My sister's kids make traps for leprechauns, which is really fun. So, for the hunt, the first clue is set to be found by their pillow in the morning, but since church is at 9:00am AND 30 minutes away, there was no way I wanted to pull it off in the morning.   My friend Sarah posted a great "tutorial" on her blog about the hunt, including the clues to print off.  Read it here.

I didn't have long, skinny bags for the "rainbow" with a "pot of gold" at the end.  I did have some little jewelry bags my mom bought me from Hobby Lobby.  And I was disappointed that my Rolos weren't individually wrapped.  So I cut the foil and wrapped two together.  They looked like gold barrels.
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day

March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (3)

In the meantime, the kids had cheesecake while listening/watching a conference talk.  There was a lot of cheesecake left over and Lee was nice enough to share with the kids.
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (4)

Silly poses my kids wanted to me capture....I colored the whipping cream green in honor of the day.
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (7)

March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (8)

March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (9)

Clark snapping one of us that night.  Lee sans green tie....
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (10)

The first clue for the treasure hunt was in the Friend magazine.  Cal found it (with a little prompting by Lee).
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (11)

First clue leads to the bathroom.  My leprechaun's feet don't match...I was in a hurry.... And looking at it, it's kind of a gross "thing" to set up that the leprechaun supposedly did, but also kind of funny and creative.
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (12)

March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (13)

Next, green milk in the fridge.
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (14)

March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (15)

Last clue was in the closet in a shoe.  You're supposed to put the clue in a shoe and have the leprechaun make a mess nearby.  Well, our closet looks like this 99% of the time.  It's basically always a mess-especially in the winter when boots, hats and gloves are involved. So I just hid the clue in one of Elden's shoes.
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (17)

It snowed that day and night.  And school was canceled on Monday.
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (18)

The last clue instructed to go out in the "cold" to find the gold.
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (20)

March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (21)

Sarah included two fun clip-art/craft ideas on her blog too.  I printed off and included the Leprechaun Application. 
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (22)

Cute picture, Elden.
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (23)

March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (25)

On the Leprechaun Application it asks if you are sneaky, clever and can dance a jig.  I think we have the jig part down!
March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (26)

March 17 2013 St. Patrick's Day (27)

We haven't had corned beef and cabbage yet, but if we can find some next month we will have it then. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: