Tuesday, March 5, 2013

End of February

The end of February was pretty eventful.  The regular days seemed to pass very slowly as we were waiting to hear from the bank about getting the go-ahead to put in an offer.  It was nice to have some other things to focus on.  The last weekend of February we headed up to Maryland.  Darrell and his family came down too.  We all met up at Lois' and swapped going to the temple on Saturday. Cal had some money he earned from working and from getting good grades.  He was going to save it and actually held onto it for a few weeks.  But he and Clark came up with the idea to have a Wii party at Lois'--which of course in their minds included having treats.  Cal spent a lot of his money on treats!  Here is his loot.  I was never good at saving money when I was little.  Lee grew up having to save 50% of all he earned and our kids have to do the same.  At least Cal didn't spend ALL his money on candy, ha ha.
Feb 22 2013 Cal

Saturday evening our family drove up to Darrell's to spend Sunday with them.  That Sunday was special because Joseph, Darrell's oldest received the Aaronic Priesthood. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we believe that worthy men and young men can use the power of God-the priesthood-to bless others and his family.  There are two levels of priesthoods, the Aaronic and the Melchizedek. This power of God to bless and help others isn't just for the leaders in the church, but it's available to all worthy young men and men in the church.  If you would like more information on it, just let me know.  It was so neat being there. I was so proud of Joseph.  What a righteous young man.  It made me realize even more that what is most important is that my children follow Christ, choose the right, keep their covenants and be good people.  Sometimes I feel like my kids should be more involved with different activities, mainly with trying to get Clark to be in some sort of sport (right now only Clark is in cub scouts and taking piano lessons). Other than that my other kids aren't doing "anything".  Anyway, it was good for me to again be reminded of what matters most. The cute young man standing between me and Clark in the following picture is Joseph.  This picture was taken last September at Jessie's baptism.  (I forgot to bring my camera!)
Sept 30 2012 Robertsons, Darrell Bartholomews, Heits

A few days later we attended the Blue and Gold Banquet for Cub Scouts.  I thought they did a nice job decorating.  After setting up and taking down for several activities, you understand what kind of work goes behind events like this!
Feb 27 2013 Blue & Gold Banquet

A cake from a bakery...still fun to see all decorated...
Feb 27 2013 Blue & Gold Banquet (2)

Feb 27 2013 Blue & Gold Banquet (3)

Feb 27 2013 Blue & Gold Banquet (4)

Feb 27 2013 Blue & Gold Banquet (7)

Here the boys were doing a skit.  It was hard to hear what they were talking about and it wasn't super quiet. I was very impressed though because after the skit Shanna asked me something about it.  I was so surprised because her question clearly showed that she was listening and following what was going on.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but I was very impressed with all the noise and distractions that a 5 year-old caught what was going on.  Guess I shouldn't be surprised!
Feb 27 2013 Blue & Gold Banquet (8)

I left early to go shopping at a store because it was closing soon.  I took one of my kids with me.  I should have taken more.  Lee had to do a short presentation and a couple of our kids were up running around by Lee while he was talking.  Ugh.  So embarrassing! Sometimes I wonder about my kids' behavior, but then sometimes sadly I react to my kids, just like a kid.  Then I realize even though at times they are not good listeners, I am not a good teacher either.  Thankfully I can try to be better again, and again, and again and again........



No comments: