Monday, January 16, 2012

New Year's Eve

The day after by birthday is New Year's Eve.  We had another fun day with Lois and co.  We took another trip to the park.  It was still nice out!  Here was the fashion that Shanna and Haley were sporting that day--with no special coordination.  Pretty funny!
Dec 31 2011 Haley

Dec 31 2011 Haley Shanna

Dec 31 2011 Reed Haley Shanna

Dec 31 2011 Elden (2)

Dec 31 2011 Blake

Dec 31 2011 Clark

Dec 31 2011 Cal

New Year's Eve is a fun evening I look forward to every year.  It's the final big party of the holidays. I mentioned previously how between my Dad's Christmas Eve birthday, Christmas Day, my brother Darrell's birthday on the 29th, mine on the 30th and New Year's Eve the 31st, it's quite the celebration time! We don't eat a lot of "appetizer" type foods or junk food, growing up or now.  But New Year's Eve growing up we would always have chips and veggies with dip, sausage balls, little smokies, cheese ball with crackers, sometimes breaded cheese sticks, root beer floats, maybe some candy, bean dip and pizza.  We always looked forward to the yummy food.  We also play Monopoly and watch the ball drop in NYC.  Usually there is a Star Wars marathon, but I don't have Stars Wars.  I tried to get a copy of it, but didn't get one...nor did I try super hard either.

This year Lee and I made homemade pizza for dinner.  Then we had cheese balls, crackers and root beer floats.  We didn't go all out as my family usually does, but it was still yummy!
Dec 31 2011 Party!

We played Monopoly!  Basically Lee, Lois and I played.  Monopoly can get pretty heated, so that is why we pretty much stick to playing it just once a year. Time was ticking on and Lois and I wanted to watch the last episode of He Knew He was Right before midnight. Lee had the most of everything, so we just let Lee win.  I think I had lost by that point too. Lee and Lois could have battled it out for hours I am sure, but it was nice ending BEFORE midnight.  Steph and my dad kept playing Monopoly till 3am!  Steph won....GO STEPH! Anyway, we finished the movie and watched the ball drop and went to bed. (I was dosing off at the end...not having a nap that day contributed to that! Lois was sweet and offered to let me have one, but I knew I would sleep for hours, so I skipped out)
Dec 31 2011 Monopoly Time

Some kids didn't make it till midnight.
Dec 31 2011 Shanna

Dec 31 2011 Cal (2)

Midnight!  HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Jan 1 2012Ruth and Lee  at midnight!

Jan 1 2012!

For awhile on New's Day my mom has made Scottish eggs.  They are so good! Usually I am with my Mom on New Year's Day (for the past several years actually!) and she always makes them.  I tried my hand at them this year.  They were pretty good.  Though next time I would switch out the cracker crumbs for cornflake crumbs--just like how you make them Mom.
Jan 1 2012

So, make hard boiled eggs, let them cool (if you wish), peel of shell.  Wrap in sausage and coat in egg wash.  Roll in crumbs...like I said I prefer crushed cornflakes.  I am sure there is something else you do do too.  Wheat bread crumbs? The baking I can't say for sure....maybe 375 for 35 minutes?  I just took my chances with the oven till they were done. 
Jan 1 2012 Scottish Eggs

Something else we did growing up was smashing our gingerbread houses New Year's at midnight.  By that time they've sat out all month, been picked over for all the good candy, and just need to be thrown away.  Why not smash them?!  We FINALLY had the kids break their houses...several days after New Year Day.
Jan 6 2012 Cal Elden haley Shanna Clark breaking gingerbread houses

Jan 6 2012 Cal Haley Elden Shanna Clark

Breaking time!
Jan 6 2012 breaking gingerbread houses

Jan 6 2012 Haley Elden Shanna Cal

Jan 6 2012 Haley Elden

Jan 6 2012 Cal

The night of house-breaking we watched a movie.  Some of the kids were pretty tired. The movie was pretty weird anyway.
Jan 6 2012 Lee Cal Haley Shanna

So far the New Year has been good.  Another family tradition is writing new goals, and looking over last year's goals.  Recently a few of my friends have pointed out that they don't like New Year "resolutions" because they feel it's always important to have goals, and constantly be improving. I had never really thought about that before--it's a great concept.  Also, my Mom sent a quote about how everyday is a new day...no need to wait for the new year to change!  I have appreciated these opinions and I need to incorporate goals into my everyday life.  And maybe because I am just used to it, I do enjoy reflecting on the past year and thinking about the new one ahead.

I have some goals that I am still working on and hopefully will accomplish this year.  With a new year it brings us closer to buying a house someday too.  Though we can't really plan for it now, maybe the end of next year of the beginning of 2014 we'll purchase something!  I haven't been too interested in building a house in the past, but now I am.  I am curious about how construction loans work and such, so I need to do some research about that. And towards the end of the year, or hopefully sooner, we'll start up again with some long-term financial goals.  And with kids, I am going to potty-train Elden in just a few months!  The end of March to be exact.  AHH!!!  I do not like potty-training.  But, if he is like my other boys, we'll have a week of miserable pain and then it will be all over.  I am REALLY hoping Elden will be like his brothers! But it's even more exciting because Elden is the youngest...no more potty-training for me! It is fun looking forward to the coming events of a new year. And hopefully I'll be sending out Christmas cards this year!  I was sad that I couldn't do it last year. 

Last year was quite the crazy, fun year.  Moving was definitely hard...or should I say leaving my Missouri friends was hard.  We went on lots of trips, saw family and some good friends which was fun.  We hosted my family reunion which was a blast.  Clark was baptized, Elden started walking, and Cal, Shanna and Haley learned to ride bikes.  Lee opened his own business and he is loving it!  We had a good 2011. Heavenly Father is ever mindful of us, for which we are grateful. 

HAPPY 2012 to all of YOU!

1 comment:

Lois said...

That was such a fun vacation!!! Thanks for letting us crash your party! :)