Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bread

Though my sister Lena has been encouraging me to do this for several years, I just started making my own wheat bread. I bought 50 pounds of wheat, pulled out my wheat grinder a few weeks ago and I'm still baking bread!  It's been fun using the wheat flour in other things took like brownies and pumpkin muffins.

When Lee's parents were here last fall they bought me some cans for bread "pans".  I didn't think I had any, turns out I did!  But I like baking the bread in these cans.  It's fun to have round bread!  I still buy bread for the boys' lunches.  Maybe this fall when 4/5ths of my kids are in school they'll be using homemade bread for sandwiches. 
Jan 7 2012 making bread

Jan 17 2012

Jan 17 2012 (2)

Jan 17 2012 (3)

My mom would sometimes make scones when she made homemade bread.  I made some too.  I didn't have a block of cheese, just shredded.  So I stuffed the scones with shredded cheese.  They were yummy.  I like putting the cheese on the scones AFTER they're made, but this was a good alternative.
Jan 7 2012 making scones

Jan 7 2012 scones

Jan 7 2012 scones (2)

Here's to years of bread making!

1 comment:

Lois said...

I want your bread recipe. I think it's cool that you bake it in cans and I love the round slices.