Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Some of you have received these updates, but some of you haven't so here they are:

Elden is off of the bili-lite for a 3rd day. His level was 4.8 today. If he reaches a "5" he has to go under the light. They check his blood to see what "level" he is at. He gained some weight too! He is now up to 2 pounds 12.8 ounces. Tomorrow they will do another infant screening on him. I guess it's required for all the babies. They did one when he was born, but Elden wasn't getting milk then, just supplemental feedings. Since he is now "eating" he will have another screening test done because they like to do the test when the baby is eating normally. Also his feedings were increased from 23 to 24 milliliters. I found out that the fortifier they are putting in his milk increases the calories. I forget the ratio, but basically there are only 20 calories in breastmilk (per ounce maybe?) and the fortifier adds an extra 4 calories.

Elden ate 5 milliliters at his bottle feeding today. Also I keep forgetting to write that he is a level 2 baby. The highest level is 4 meaning they aren't in the best condition. He moved to a level 3 about two weeks ago. And now he is a level 2. Level 1 is a well-baby. By that point he would be going home. So he will be a level 2 for a long time. I mentioned to my nurse my hopes of going home before May 15 and she thought that wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Ruth! So glad to hear that little Elden is doing so well. I'm sure you can't wait to get home and be a family again. Good luck with everything! :)

Lisa and company said...

Thanks for all the updates. Baby Elden sounds like he continues to make progress! Yayyyy!

MissouriMormonMama said...

I'm so glad Elden is holding his own so well. Level 2 is great! I hope he can come home before May 15, that would be exciting! And we would love to see you!

Photo Crazy! said...

What great news! He is doing so well.

Liz said...

How great, I'm so glad to hear he is doing so much better. Three pounds will be such a nice mark to hit. I like that you are shooting for May 15th to take him home for a few reasons. 1. It's the day the priesthood was restored. 2. It's the day Horton heard the who. 3. It's my Birthday. :-)

Go Elden! :-) You have had such a positive attitude about this. I admire your strength.