Friday, June 10, 2016

School's Out!

Wow!  The day I've been waiting for all year (basically) came!  Another school year is under our belts and everyone is headed to the next grade. The summer holiday is HERE! 

First off, my randoms.  One night Elden decided all on his own to set the table for Cal.  So sweet and cute.  I love when they decide on their own to show love through service to their siblings.
June 2 2016

Cal went on his first boy scout camp out!  He is now all registered for Boy Scouts and even completed his Scout Rank thanks to his awesome 11 year-old scout leader.  Cal had a really fun time at the camp out.  
June 3 2016 (2)

Lee was able to spend the night with him, but left early the next morning to head back into work. Cal also was able to do so many things for Scout, Tenderfoot, 2nd and 1st class requirements.  Happy dance on my end! 
Cal 11 year-old camp June 4 2016

As I mentioned in an earlier post I was able to go to the temple while the kids had their last full day of school.  It was great running into my friends the Jeppsons and the Killions.
June 3 2016

Shanna and I went on a little date to the school playground one night too.  Elden and Haley had gone with their friend to a playground, and she wanted to do something special.
June 4 2016

Right before school ended there were three award ceremonies.  We didn't go to Clark's for a couple reasons.  One, it was FHE and we were going to have some people over, and Clark said he'd rather do FHE (we ended up being invited to their house instead which was really fun).  Two, it was soooo long last year that Lee and I decided just one of us were going to go.  But then Clark said he didn't want to go anyway, so that was that!  But Clark was recognized for being on the A honor roll all year, plus getting a PERFECT on his writing SOL, plus getting the highest grade in his math class.

The eve of the last day, we attended Cal's award ceremony (minus Lee, sadly). 
June 8 2016 (2)

June 8 2016 (3)

The choir sang two songs.
June 8 2016 (5)

Cal was recognized for passing all of the physical fitness tests in gym.  I'm not sure if he was disappointed for not receiving any other awards.  But on his report card for this last quarter he earned all As and one B.  YAY!  I was really hoping for this.  He's had some Cs through the year so I was really proud of him for raising his grades.
June 8 2016 (7)

He didn't want to stay for the party that night, which was fine by me.  Though it looked like they had the cafeteria decorated super cute!
June 8 2016 (9)

The next morning I headed over the the school wide awards ceremony (the 5th grade doesn't attend).  I admit, it was fun seeing all of my kids being recognized.  Haley was up there quite a few times for winning Battle of the Books, high AR points, and AB honor roll.  Later that day her teacher told me that she got a PERFECT on her reading SOL!  She is the first third grader in about 4 years to get a perfect on the reading SOL. 
Last Day of School June 9 2016 (2)

Elden received a Character award--my favorite--from his teacher.  And then and another gal earned a medal for being chosen as...how to word this...the top character person for 1st grade?  It was really cute seeing him up there.
Last Day of School June 9 2016 (7)

Last Day of School June 9 2016 (8)

Shanna and Haley receiving certificates for AB honor roll.
Last Day of School June 9 2016

Don't get me wrong, with all these awards, there were definitely tricky times through the year with bad homework grades, low test grades, and even two kids came home with Fs on two different tests.  I am not a mom that pushes their kids to be ultra high achievers, which probably sounds bad.  I went to school, did somewhat of my best, and lived.  I mean I graduated from small, small high school with about 60 classmates, and no AP classes. I did do better in college, getting about a 3.8 GPA.  I want my kids to do well, but I am not striving for them to go to Harvard or Yale. And Cs are not okay in my book, just to clarify.  Anyway, we lived and ended the school year well.
Last Day of School June 9 2016 (9)

The end of the year send off! I love this.  Everyone comes out to say goodby to the 5th graders, and then all the kids leaving on the buses.  Lots of crying girls.... 
Last Day of School June 9 2016 (10)

It was Cal's birthday on the last day of school...more to come about that...  Later that day we went down to a river in town to hang out.  The kids loved catching little fish and eating ice cream cones. Clark hung out on the upper bank, getting some sun and a cat nap.  I think he did some reading too.
Last Day of School June 9 2016 (12)

Yay to summer and all our fun plans and also to all of our "lack" of plans.  Yay to no more homework, or tests to worry about!  Well, for a few weeks.  Hopefully we haven't over planned our summer.  We have several big trips coming up.  Maybe too ambitious, but plans are set, and we'll see how it goes! 

No comments: