Sunday, June 17, 2012

Cal's Birthday

Just one more birthday to go and the stretch of birthdays will be over this year for the kids. I was hoping that Elden would be born in April, then the birthdays would be April, May, June, July.  Of course he couldn't wait and came in March instead.  But as Clark pointed out to us, it is fun that the birthdays in our family run youngest to oldest from the beginning of the year to the end of the year.  Anyway, the first part of June we celebrate Cal's 7th birthday!

First, a picture of the girls and their neighbor friend.  She is in Cal's grade and is a really nice girl.  Shanna LOVES playing with her.



One night during a family movie night....


So here is the cake!  Cal wanted a castle but it turned more into a fortress.  Either way, Cal liked it so our job was accomplished!
 
 
 
 


Happy Birthday Cal!
 
 


The morning of Cal's birthday the cub scouts had a hike in the Shenandoah National Park.  It sure is pretty up there.  We went to Dark Hallow Falls again.  My kids have been on this hike three times in the past few months.  They don't want to go again for awhile, ha ha.  
 
 


Lee was at work that morning so I was glad there was a hike to go on...something fun to do that morning! A few people commented on how impressed they were that I would go by myself with five kids on a hike.  It was nice because I knew what the trail was like and so did my kids.  I guess I do so many things with them by myself it didn't phase me. But, it did help that I knew what to expect that morning hiking wise.  
 
 
 
 


 
 


Picture of the kids.  See the muffins in their hands?  I made some for breakfast that morning and I think only one or two kids ate them.  I am a stickler with food that I make for my kids.  If they don't want to eat it, fine.  But they don't get food later! I brought some muffins on the hike in case they wanted a snack.  Well, the kids eventually wanted them!  For several of them, this was their breakfast. 


Afterwards there was a hotdog roast at a nearby picnic area. See the plate in the bottom left of the picture?  That was my lunch.  Not healthy in the least I know!  Well, neither are hotdogs for that matter.  I don't like hotdogs though, so I had some s'mores and chips!
 
 
 
 
 


We kept the day super busy and after we got home from the hike and cleaned up we took off again.  We got a summer pool pass and hit the pool for the first time this summer.  Can't wait to go back again!  
 


After homemade pizza and baths, we had Cal's party.  Happy Birthday Cal!  We love you!
 


One more random picture....some fireflies.  

3 comments:

Risa Stumm said...

Ruth, I am so impressed!!!! That was QUITE a busy day! You are superwoman, for sure!! So fun that you were able to be out with your kids and having fun ALL DAY! Happy birthday, Cal! ... oh, and you have the same philosophy about food as I do-- "If kids don't eat the meal, fine-- but no food later!" I love it! :)

Melissa S. said...

For the record that CAKE IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I Love it....but I what I LOVE even more is the picture w/ your girl all over Cal during movie night. hahaha, that is so funny

Annelise said...

Happy Birthday cal!! Sophia's birthday was today! Can't believe how fast kids grow up! Cute cake, you did a great job!