Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Snow and Sugar

Click on Older Posts for more pictures on 

Last Friday night it started snowing and kept going till Saturday afternoon.  I always love the first snow of the season, even if it was a little early.  I didn't mind the snow one bit because it didn't last long (I didn't think it would) and we had a gorgeous sunny Fall day today. I don't mind if snow starts sticking around on December 25th.

The pink/gray glove and Clark's helmet are remnants of Clark's snowman.
Oct 29 2011 Clark's snowman

Lee and Cal's snowman. 
Oct 29 2011 Snowman

Cal went on a field trip to a pumpkin patch a few weeks ago and it was the lone pumpkin for Halloween.  Cal designed, Lee carved.
Oct 29 2011 Lee pumpkin carving

Oct 30, 2011 Pumpkin

Oct 30, 2011 Pumpkin (2)

For a few years we've baked and decorated sugar cookies for Halloween. It's about the only time of year I make them.  I used the same recipe as I did last year, but boy were they good this year!  Yum!  Too bad there weren't more of them...  We did the cookies on Sunday.
Oct 30, 2011 Haley Shanna Ruth sugar cookies

Oct 30, 2011 sugar cookies, Haley Shanna

Oct 30, 2011 Haley Cal

Oct 30, 2011 Haley Cal (2)

Oct 30, 2011 Haley Cal Clark

I love it how they all squish together for things like this!
Oct 30, 2011 Haley Shanna Cal Clark

We decorated them while listening to a General Conference talk. *Listen Here*
Oct 30, 2011 Elden

Oct 30, 2011 Clark

This photo is for you Auntie Steph!
Oct 30, 2011 Shanna

Oct 30, 2011 Cal

Oct 30, 2011 Cal (2)

Oct 30, 2011 haley

Oct 30, 2011 Haley (2)

Oct 30, 2011 Haley Ruth

We had a really fun Halloween weekend.  With the ward Halloween party--see post below--cookies on Sunday and Trick-or-Treating Halloween night, it was very fun. I was kind of disappointed about going trick-or-treating by myself as Lee was going to hand out candy at his practice, but it turned out really well!  Here they hold what they call a Hoo-Doo and block of the streets for the downtown businesses.  Then participating businesses hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters. I loved it!  A church close to downtown...okay...everything is close to downtown...had a maze for the kids along with cookies and hot cider.  Thankfully they had water too.  I was thirsty from pushing the stroller!

I left the camera with Lee while we were out getting candy.
Oct 31 2011 Dr. Lee

You might not be able to tell, but Lee dilated his right eye, and shaved his face and cut his hair on the left side. 
Oct 31 2011 Dr. Lee (2)

Here is the candy he handed out.  We bought it from Oriental Trading Co.  We both wish we would have checked the local Family Dollar first...they had gummy eyes also for sale...at a cheaper price too! 
Oct 31 2011 eye candy (3)

Good thing he got a lot.  He handed out about 670 pieces!!! 
Oct 31 2011 eye candy (2)

Lee bought two squash and carved out eyes.  He couldn't get a good picture, but I think you get the idea.  Very cool!
Oct 31 2011 eyes

Oct 31 2011 eyes (2)

Oct 31 2011 eyes (3)

We're excited to participate again next year!  After filling up the bags with candy downtown, we visited a few homes right by our house.  After that we did about 10 or so more houses.  It was funny because Haley wanted to keep going.  The other kids were done.  It was a nice night weather-wise to go out.  A little cool, but not bad.  A nice Fall evening. After the kids were in bed, finally, I did the much-looked-forward-to sorting of the candy!  So fun!  I don't know why I like doing it so much.  I saved out a BUNCH of candy for Christmas, a little for Valentine's Day, plus the kids picked some out for their gingerbread houses.  The only candy I plan on buying for Christmas will be candy canes.  I might make some homemade candy, like chocolate covered coconut balls...mmm! Hopefully I can stick to the plan! The kids still have a good stash in their bags and they haven't even noticed that A LOT is gone. Hopefully that will last a few more years! Growing up I looked forward to holidays mainly because of the candy.  And that hasn't changed.

6 comments:

Dean and Elaine said...

Love all the pics! Those sugar cookies bring back memories. We used to always do them for Valentine's Day and also for Christmas. Lee looks terrific in his get up! Cute things he gave out!

Lois said...

Looks like a lot of fun! And Lee's costume is awesome!!

Sarah and Todd said...

I love all the eye stuff for Lee's practice on Halloween! Especially those squash eyes, how fun! And AWESOME job on the pie eating contest. That's pretty impressive!

Lois said...

Congratulations on winning the pie eating contest. And I like the treats Lee handed out. Great publicity! Love all the photos.

Megan and Jeremy said...

What a great Halloween! (I can't believe you all got snow!) That's great that Lee got to hand out candy & I'm impressed he dilated his eye. That's really funny. I'm so proud you won the pie eating contest :) Go Ruth! Remember our spaghetti eating with no hands at Ricks? Good times.

That reminds me, we watched a movie the other night ( well Jeremy did, I was kind of in & out) called I am number 4 & the main character reminded me of someone & I finally figured it out. He looked a lot like Jay D. Do you know what they're up to? Isn't he dentist too?

Cardiganwearer said...

It might be me, but it looks like there were a lot of feet in those sugar cookies. If they were that good you might have trouble replicating them with exactly the right amount of foot content in the future.

Looks like you had fun Nevada Day!