Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Happy Early Thanksgiving!


Lee finished his “SOAP” reports last night. Since he is doing an extern in North Carolina, the state requires that he does 20 reports on different patients that he sees. I don’t know what the acronym is, but it’s something along the lines of student observation of patients.

Friday Lee got home at 4 pm! It was great. Dr. Lewis and his wife went out of town over the weekend, so they all worked through lunch so they could get done early. On Saturday Lee did sealings at the temple in Raleigh.


I have been doing the normal stuff. I have been shopping a few times and enjoyed that. We took two trips last week, which I loved. I did a session at the temple on Saturday while Lee was with the kids.


Last Tuesday he got to spend the day with his cousin Anthon. He loved it! He is very excited for Jon to come this weekend.


Cal had a big week. Well, two big events. On Wednesday Cal climbed off the stool in our kitchen. Nothing big. BUT somehow he managed to stick his tongue out and cut it with his tooth. It was so gross that I called the nurse at Dr. Matthews’ office. She said to bring him on in. I was thinking before I called, that maybe she’ll tell me that there’s nothing they can do, and that it will just heal. And it did stop bleeding after a little while. But it looked so gross, I went in. He was acting fine after the initial shock, so I finished up dinner—crockpot, and finished getting ready for the day. THEN I got the girls up from their nap and took everyone to the doctor. I told Clark not to play with the toys at the doctor’s office because they were yucky. When we got there Clark started playing with them and I told him not to touch them. I was up by the window doing some paper work and the receptionist said, “He can play with them, it’s okay.” J Well, I did give in and let my boys play with them. We washed hands when we got home. Anyway, so Dr. Matthews comes in and does normal health check stuff on Cal, and then tells me that’s there’s nothing he can do for his tongue. They don’t stitch tongues. Nice. Overall, it worked out very well that we went in. For a couple things, Clark and Cal got to play with the germy toys—Clark didn’t want to leave—and the boys got free ice cream cone coupons for Sonic.

Friday we were outside and the boys were playing. I didn’t know where they were so I started looking around for them. I got up and heard that Cal was crying. I went over to him and saw that his pant leg was pulled up and he was running towards the house. Upon closer observation I saw that Cal had lots of fire ants on him! I stripped him down to his onsie and told him to run inside. Poor guy! Those little buggers’ bites hurt.

Well, that’s not the end of his adventures. We were loading everyone into the van after our temple trip. Clark and Cal were in some bushes and Lee went to get them. I was sitting in the front seat and Clark told me that Dad wanted me. I thought okay, and thought that was kind of weird. Then I heard Lee say: “Ruth,” in a kind of loud, drawn out voice. I hurried out and saw that Cal had ants on him AGAIN! This time though the ants left pretty bad bites.

Normally Cal loves bugs. I don’t know why. Almost every morning he shows Lee the same dead bug in between the windows in his room and says: “Daddy, Daddy, beeyall! Beeyall!” Lee showed him a bug on Sunday and Cal did not like that.


Monday night we took a trip up to my parents. Lee got the day off on Tuesday so he could come with us to Duke University so Shanna could have her head checked out. Her skull is asymmetrical and we wanted to make sure she didn’t need a helmet or surgery. My mom took Clark to Anthon’s for the day, and we went to Durham, NC for the appointment. The neurologist said Shanna does have a mild case of plagliocephaly, but actually wondered why we had brought her in. That was great news to us! Dr. Matthews (the pediatrician here) said she was border line, and recommend that we have a specialist see her. We thought that was a good idea. Before we went, the neurologist had requested that we get a CT scan of Shanna’s head for the upcoming appointment. That made us a bit worried—CT scans sounded very expensive. I called the hospital and found out that the CT scan would cost $1200! Now I’ll do what I can for my kids health, but I don’t have an extra $1200! I talked to a nurse at Duke and she said that we could bring her in, but we may need to get a scan and then come in again for a second appointment. Lee and I thought that gamble would be better. No point in getting the CT scan, and then finding out that we didn’t need one at the initial visit. That would have been a BIG waste of money! But as far as we know, she is just fine. Whew!


She had a great week too.


We all went up again to Mom and Dad B’s Friday night. Ila’s birthday was on Sunday, and that was the reason for the trip. Saturday we went to the temple and went shopping. Sunday morning we went to church with Daniel and Amy. It was the primary program, so it was fun to see Ila, Lizzy and Anthon in the program. After church we congregated at Daniel and Amy’s for lunch and a birthday party. We had a great time together and I think Ila enjoyed her birthday. We visited with Mom and Dad at their place for a little while and then got home about 10:00 pm. This weekend Lena and Mike and family are coming. Clark is excited to see Jon.

Today I took the kids to the county health department. It is SO nice here—75 degrees and the chd is so close, that we walked over. Well, I walked and pushed all four kids in the stroller. The girls were due for their 6 month immunizations and I wanted all of us to get flu shots. I didn’t tell Clark and Cal that they were getting shots beforehand, so when one of the nurses had him come in to get a shot he thought they were making a mistake. He told me that he wasn’t one of the babies. Cal and Clark got a fun little car after their shots. Cal and Clark each got one shot and Haley and Shanna got four each. Well, Clark and Cal cried longer than Haley and Shanna did!

That’s about it from here. Well, Cal fell today and bruised the bridge of his nose. I hope he isn’t prone to accidents and other incidents…

No comments: